Friday, March 9, 2012

[Movie Review] "Listen to Your Heart"



Every night before my husband and I go to bed we always watch a movie together. Well, since he had a long day at work, it was only me watching the movie last night. I scrolled through Netflix & found "Listen to Your Heart." 




When I read the description, 
"A struggling NYC songwriter (Kent Moran) becomes enamored with a wealthy hearing-impaired girl from Greenwich, Connecticut (Alexia Rasmussen) who tragically cannot hear the music she inspires him to write. After falling in love against the wishes of her controlling mother, Ariana becomes torn between hanging onto the shelter her controlling mother (Cybill Shepherd) provides and fighting for a love that, if given the chance, might just change her life." -Sourced from: listentoyourheartfilm.com

I knew it was a MUST watch! I clicked on the movie & was completely hooked on how everything fell into place. This wasn't just an ordinary sappy girly movie for me - it was something I could completely relate to.


My little brother is hearing impaired and so is my sister in-law so, this movie hit close to home. It reminded me of my older brother & my sister in-law. Nobody understands what it's like to be deaf, including myself. People judge, people discriminate, people will laugh at something when they have no idea what it's like to walk 5 steps in their shoes. So falling in love could feel near to impossible for someone with a disability. Growing up with a brother that's deaf & then having my sister in-law enter our family who is deaf, it made me realize that my brother isn't just the only one going through the struggle. People with hearing take MANY things for granted -- the sound of birds, the sound of a guitar, the sound of water running, the sound of a crying baby, the sound of traffic, or even the sound of rain. We go through life not realizing that there are people out there who cannot HEAR or even SEE these things happening in the world... so, just imagine if you couldn't HEAR someone tell you they love you, imagine if you cannot HEAR a song they wrote for you, imagine if you cannot HEAR their heartbeat when you lay your head down on their chest... it's the little things in life that other people cannot enjoy. So, before you say hateful things about someone who won't turn your way because they didn't hear you call their name -- think twice, they might be hearing impaired.

As for the movie, I give it 5 out of 5 stars. It was only the 3rd movie in all of my life that made my cry the way I did. It has an unexpected ending but that's what made me love it even more.

Love life. Embrace life. Never take anything for granted.

From left to right: My husband, myself, & my little brother


My sister in-law (right) & I (left)

-Lindsey


Here's a song for those of you who've ever been bullied in your life, who thought they'd never be able to go on with your life, who have disabilities, or those who feel as if nobody cares about them:
Don't Laugh At Me

2 comments:

  1. I Also have netflix, I will take a look at the movie! My hubby and I watch movies together as well. If you looking for another good movie on netflix you can look the Peacemaker, we just watched that and it was good from start to finish! Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I will be sure to checkout Peacemaker!

      Delete